Common Names:- None
Homotypic Synonyms:- Tithymalus oblongatus.
Meaning:- Euphorbia (L) For Euphorbus, physician to the King of Mauritania.
Oblongata (L) Elliptic with blunt ends, oblong.
General description:- Stout, caespitose, densely pubescent perennial.
1) Up to 80 cm. Robust, often with axillary rays below the terminal umbel.
1) Narrowly obovate, obtuse, margins serrulate.
2) Ray-leaves, ovate, narrowed, or rounded at the base.
1) Rays, 5, about equalling or somewhat exceeding the ray-leaves.
2) Glands, often only 2-3.
1) Capsule, 3·8-4·3 mm, sparsely covered with short tubercles, glabrous.
2) Seeds, 2-5 mm, brown.
1) Plant, distinctly pubescent.
2) Capsule, with elongated or hemispherical tubercles.
3) Seeds, smooth or nearly so.
Habitat:- Deciduous and evergreen scrub, olive groves, embankments of forest
roads in somewhat damp places on various substrates. 50-1200(1700) m.
Distribution:- S Peloponnisos and scattered on mainland Greece. - S & C Balkan
Peninsula, NW Turkey. Rare on Crete currently known from only one location in the
central areas and three in the west.
Flowering time:- Apr to mid-July.
Photos by:- Kind permission of Saxifraga - Free Nature Images and Manolis