Common Name:- None
Synonyms:- Convolvulus tricolor subsp. pentapetaloides.
Meaning:- Convolvulus (L) Entwined. A name used by the Roman naturalist and
Pentapetaloides. (L) Five-petalled. with five petals.
General description:- Erect, ascending or prostrate annual. with slender,
1) 10-40 cm. slender, appressed-pubescent, unbranched.
1) Lower, long-petiolate, with a narrowly obovate, entire, obtuse blade.
2) Upper, short-petiolate to sessile, oblanceolate.
1) Solitary in the leaf axils.
2) Pedicel c. 20 mm, pubescent, recurved in fruit.
3) Corolla 8-12 mm in diam, deep blue to sky-blue with a yellow centre.
1) Capsule globose, c. 5 mm in diam., glabrous or weakly hairy.
1) Corolla 8-12 mm in diam., deep blue to sky blue witha yellow centre.
Habitat:- Dry open shrubby vegetation, open coniferous woodland, field margins
and olive groves, usually on limestone.
Distribution:- A few localities in the East of Greece, but apparently lacking in W
Greece. -Widespread in the Mediteranean region and SW Asia. Previously
unrecored from Crete, Discovered by Nikos Marakis in the Zakros Gorge area E
Crete April 2023.
Flowering time:- Late March to May.
Photos by:-Nikos Marakis