Common Name:- None
Homotypic Synonyms:- None
Meaning:- Alyssum (Gr) Pacifier, ancient Greek name meaning without-fury -
alluding to the supposed medicinal properties against rabies.
Umbellatum (L) Umbelled.
General description:- Grey annual
1) 5-10(-15) cm. usually slender and ascending.
1) Well spaced, but sometimes crowded below the raceme, narrowly oblanceolate,
greyish green, with 6-8 rayed stellate hairs.
1) Inflorescence, a simple, umbellate raceme, not or scarcely elongating in fruit.
2) Sepals, 2-2·2 mm, caducous.
3) Petals, 2-3 mm, truncate to slightly emarginate, pale yellow,
4) Pedicels 3-5 mm, erecto-patent.
5) Style, 1-1.5 mm.
1) Siliculae 3-5·5.5 mm, ovate to broadly elliptical, obtuse; valves moderately
inflated, without well defined flat margins, covered by 8-12-rayed, appressed
2) Seeds, 1·7-2·1 mm, narrowly winged.
2) Style, 0·8-1·5(-2) mm.
3) Raceme, subumbellate in fruit.
4) Silicula, ovate, the valves inflated.
Habitat:- Open cultivated ground, sandy or gravelly seashores, riverbeds, pastures,
dry open shrubby vegetation and openings in coniferous forest, on various
substrates. 0-700(-1200) m.
Distribution:- NE mainland Greece. - SE Balkan Peninsula, W Anatolia, Crimea,
Cyprus and W Syria. Very rare on Crete currently known from one area in the Dikti
Flowering time:- Mar-Apr(-May).
Photos by:- Charalambos Chiotelis